Appleton volunteers and docents are vital to the success of our programs, exhibitions and special events. Whether assisting museum guests, helping with administrative duties or in the art studios, our volunteers make a tremendous difference.
Become A Volunteer
Are you interested in volunteering at the Appleton? We ask that our volunteers:
- Commit to at least 30 hours of service per year.
- Plan a day or partial day for their services once a week (depending upon volunteer position).
- Attend all training sessions.
- Fulfill a 30-day probationary period.
- Comply with all museum and college policies and procedures.
- Be 18 years or older and complete a Level II background check.
As a thank you, our volunteers enjoy special benefits, including:
- Discount on Appleton membership.
- Invitations to seminars, workshops, and tours.
- Invitation to annual holiday and service recognition event.
- Opportunities to meet people who share common interests.
Become A Docent
Do you have the heart of a teacher? Consider becoming a docent for the museum.
Our docents serve as guides for group tours in our permanent collections and special exhibitions. You don’t need to have a background in art — just passion and great communication skills.
We provide specialized training that will cover everything you need to know. You’ll learn about the Appleton’s collection, as well as art history and techniques for managing group flow. The class takes place on Wednesdays from 10 a.m.-noon. New docent classes begin in the fall of each year, with time off for the holidays.
We also ask our docents to attend monthly meetings on the first Tuesday of every month. During the meetings, we assign tours, provide updates on programs and events, and share other important information.