Announcing the Appleton’s 9th annual Mobile Photography Contest and Exhibition! Photos captured by you, on a mobile device, are eligible. Entries are being accepted now through July 31. Submissions will be juried by Jenny Eggers of Jenny E. Photography. Prizes will be awarded in each category and all entries will be on view in an exhibition at the Appleton from Aug. 22-Sept. 24. This contest is open to all ages. No experience is necessary and there is no fee to enter. Participants may submit one photo per category.
Please read below for information on submitting photos and other contest details.
2023 Contest Categories
Light and Shadow
Light can illuminate a subject or create shadows to communicate a mood — scary, striking or otherwise. Show us how light and/or shadow has inspired your mobile photography.
What does summer look like to you? From ice-cold watermelon to stormy or sunny landscapes, send us your favorite summer-inspired snapshot.
Polka dots, plaid, stripes, chevron and more — show us how patterns have inspired your photography. Don’t be afraid to get creative!
My Kid Took That
Let the little ones in your life take the lead in this category! Show us their best or silliest mobile photo. Selfies are allowed!
- Entries must be original, and taken by the person submitting the entry. Parents/guardians may submit photos on behalf of children under 18.
- Photos must be taken with a mobile device (mobile phone or tablet); photos taken with film or digital cameras will not be accepted.
- From July 1-31, email photos to AppletonMuseum@cf.edu; include the category in the subject line and your full name in the body of the email. Photos must be sent via email. Entries submitted by mail or through Facebook or other social media will not be accepted.
- Submitting to more than one category? Please send separate emails for each category. And remember, only one photo per category is permitted.
- Entries will be juried, and winning photos will be selected based on creativity, quality, responsiveness to the category and overall impact. Winners will be notified before announcements are made on social media.
- All entries will be printed and displayed in the museum. For ease of printing, photos will be cropped by the Appleton to 4 x 4 in. or 4 x 6 in. There are no guarantees for special printing of panoramas.
- Photos must be tasteful and representative of the theme. Any photos or emails that do not adhere to all of the guidelines may be disqualified at the discretion
of museum staff.
- Prizes will be shipped, or available for pickup at the museum. Winners must provide a U.S. shipping address to request the prize by mail; international shipping is not available.
- Questions? Email AppletonMuseum@cf.edu
Mobile Photography Exhibition
August 22-September 24, 2023
All entries will be printed and displayed in the museum, with a special feature wall for winners. Regular museum admission fees apply to see this exhibition. Admission is free on September 2 as part of the monthly Free First Saturday program.